Skip to main content

Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency Program

The University of Washington Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency Program is accredited by the American Physical Therapy Association as a postprofessional residency program for physical therapists in neurologic physical therapy. It is a 12-month, full-time residency program for licensed physical therapists who want to specialize in neurologic physical therapy. 

The goals of the residency program are to:

  • Support UW Medicine’s mission to improve the health of the public by educating residents to provide advanced clinical care in neurologic physical therapy.
  • Prepare residents to become educators in neurologic physical therapy for patients, physical therapy students and colleagues, the broader health care community and the public by providing hands-on teaching experiences in the clinic and in the classroom.
  • Prepare residents to become consultants, advocates and ambassadors of the physical therapy profession to patients, physical therapy students and colleagues, the broader health care community and the public by providing structured mentoring and opportunities to engage in professional development and leadership.
  • Prepare residents to sit for the American Board of Physical Therapy Specialties board certification as a clinical specialist in neurologic physical therapy.

Residents complete their clinical experience at the University of Washington Medical Center, named the best hospital in Washington state and one of the best hospitals in the nation for adult rehabilitation, according to U.S. News & World Report. The medical center has a coordinated system of care for the treatment for spinal cord injury and traumatic brain injury, and patients come from all over the world for the expert services offered here.

Program Details

The Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency program begins on August 1 of each year. Residents work a full-time schedule. You’ll spend about 80 percent of your time in the clinic, either seeing patients or receiving one-on-one mentoring from faculty. The remaining 20 percent of your time is spent on didactic coursework or teaching. You’ll teach advanced neurologic physical therapy classes to UW Doctor of Physical Therapy students, gaining valuable experience teaching at the doctoral level.

The resident is a salaried position at the University of Washington and includes medical and dental benefits, sick leave, two weeks of vacation and state-observed holidays. Tuition is $3,500 for the year.


There are three categories of residency faculty. Primary clinical faculty are responsible for providing clinical mentoring, including didactic and clinical education, during the resident’s clinical rotations. Adjunct clinical faculty provide mentoring in a specific area of clinical practice, including didactic and clinical education in that area. Didactic faculty oversee and coordinate the curriculum and provide direct instruction to the resident.

Primary Mentors

  • Ashley Dennis, DPT, NCS
  • Paul Marek, PT, NCS
  • Kate Rough, PT, DPT, NCS
  • Whitney Rudolph, PT, DPT, ATP, NCS
  • Victoria Stevens, PT, NCS
  • Katherine Sweet, PT, DPT, NCS

Adjunct Mentors

  • Ellery Russian, PT, DPT, ATP

Didactic Faculty

  • Valerie Kelly, PT, PhD
  • Stacia Lee, PT, NCS
  • ​Patricia Matsuda, PT, DPT, PhD


One resident is accepted into the UW Neurologic Physical Therapy Residency Program each year.

To qualify to apply, you must have a degree or certificate in physical therapy from an accredited physical therapy school. You also need to have an active Washington state physical therapy license or be eligible for one.

To apply, submit your application by January 1 through RF-PTCAS, the centralized application for residency and fellowship programs in physical therapy. We’ll invite top applicants to an interview in early March and will notify applicants of a decision by mid-March.